What is Quartz Inversion?
No, it’s not a quart of milk standing on its head. It’s the point at which silica crystals in clay change their molecular structure during the rise and fall of temperatures in the kiln. Heat serves as a catalyst for permanent change. Very cool idea. I think of it as a metaphor for most things in life. The transformational power of art can change us at the very core. Our actions change the earth every day, for better or worse. The choices we make, the thoughts we have, and the words we say change us in every way at every moment--from the inside out. I like to think that I go through a quartz inversion on a regular basis....and once quartz inversion occurs, there is no going back.
~~
Get more Quartz Inversion

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Scrittore....

So it seems that my grandfather's journals will be harder to translate than I had hoped. My Italian teacher took a look at some pages and although he was able to make out quite a bit of the handwriting, he said it would be difficult to do a clean translation because the writing is such a "stream of consciousness". He said that although the writer was highly intelligent and seemingly well-read, he wrote without concern for consistency of proper tenses, subjects, or sentence structure. The writing was a mix of melancholy thoughts, quotes and citations, and drafts of letters that were never sent. He also said something quite interesting ~ he said that he felt the journal was written by someone who longed to be a writer, but for some reason was never able to. I realized they must be filled with quite a depth of content for a total stranger to get such an acute sense of who this person writing was. I walked away feeling deep regret that I never really knew my grandfather, and that I might never truly know who this enigma of a man was.

For now I must be content and grateful that I have his journals as a source of inspiration and the backdrop for my work, but I will continue to chip away at words and phrases in the hope of gaining a deeper understanding of my grandfather.

2 comments:

Francesco Fontana, AWS said...

Joanne I am so touched by the way you feel related to you roots. Wich I feel is the core sentiment of all your artwork. I am Sicilian and live in Europe, and never I meet my grandpa' brother emigrated to America in early '900, who gave life to a large family in the US. But when I visited Ellis Island, my heart beated faster and I had the feeling that I was blood-related to something special and bigger than myself and my present time. It's hard to say but I guess you understand.. If I can be of any help with your grandfather's journal, please let me know.. Francesco

www.francescofontana.com

JoAnne Ruggeri said...

Thank you for your comments Francesco! And thanks for offering to help with the translation of my grandfathers notebooks. They are very hard to read because they are written in very old fashioned script. They are very beautiful to look at and are like a work of art in and of themselves, but they not so easy to translate!
If you are serious with your offer to help, I would love to contact you!!
Tante grazie,
JoAnne